Ok, well first off let me clarify the title of this post. When I say "no TV".. I don't mean no TV, ever. And I don't mean I'm going to become a TV nazi and say 30 minutes a day, and you're done. Because that's not it either. It's just that it does need to be monitored and limited. For example, today.. The TV didn't come on until 5:30. And when it came on, it was so I could give Scarlett a bath and know that Kinley wasn't hanging from the ceiling or anything of that nature. I don't think there's anything really wrong with TV. In fact at this age range especially, it really can be educational.
It's so great to be able to see Kinley growing every day and become more and more interactive with me, the older she gets. We have so many hilarious conversations. She really is a funny little kid. We had fun experimenting with our time, and finding ways to fill the day without TV, innotab, iPad, mommys iPhone, etc. we started the day making banana pancakes and scrambled eggs, ate breakfast together, she helped me do dishes. Well, technically she made a huge mess out of water and bubbles while i did the dishes. I really think its a great thing to teach kids young to be domesticated. She loves to help me cook and bake, too. We colored pictures for daddy, we did puzzles, we made gummy bear Popsicles. Huge hit, and super duper easy! Glow stick baths.. A lot of it was stuff we would do any other day, but it was nice to not have the tv noise running in the background.
It's so important to be engaged as much as you can as a parent. Especially at this age, their minds and imaginations are so absorbent and its vital to be present. Communicating with them, letting them know you see what they're doing (coloring a picture, doing her summer sault for the 100th time, picking up their blocks, etc) whatever it may be - that you see it, and that you think it's great. Children need that validation. Some more than others. Being extra involved and hands on all day with Kinley just reminded me that as mothers, we really are equipped to so more than we think. I juggled a baby, deep cleaning the house, and being 100% present in Kinley and her activities. I don't say that to brag, at all. I'm saying it to encourage other moms to try and do the same. If I can - you can, believe me. Turn the TVs off, get creative - use your brain. Or wait, who needs brains nowadays -- there's Pinterest! ;) I promise your kid and you will thank you for it at the end of the day. It may take a lot more effort than sticking them with some form of technology for them to zombie out to. BUT I promise, you'll save that much extra energy from the lack of fits, whining, meltdowns etc. keeping 'em busy and acknowledged will change their behavior 100x over. It's especially important this time of year - when were stuck inside days on end, and it feels like winter has lasted an eternity to dig deep into your mommy brain and make the most out of the cabin fever filled days.
No comments:
Post a Comment